Friday, August 01, 2008

Matsuri

When it comes to planning, I;m a genius. I LOVE LOVE LOVE looking at my calendar and writing and rewriting my to-do list. I believe I have trained myself to work and rework dates in order to fit my schedule. Because of that, I was able to fit 3 festivals during the 19 days in Japan. This, BY FAR, was the festival I was looking forward to...the one in my grandparent's city. Why? Scroll down and you'll see...

The guys pulling the mikoshi in the river to thank the god of water...or something like that.


They then started to climb the mikoshi to see who can get to the top. Pretty dangerous in my opinion. Thanks to my hilarious grandpa, Jimmy and I were lucky enough to watch this from a boat.



Serious business

This went on for about 30 minutes. We were laughing our butts off


We had lunch with my family and then came the part I was waiting for... Jimmy was going to join the festival and carry the 2 ton mikoshi! (It's the third heaviest in Japan)

All ready to go!


I sensed a little nervousness...


P.E.A.C.E!

Since we were thanking the god of water, Jimmy was drenched by the time he was done.


Looks like he's having fun


Marching down the narrow city streets



My cousin's son Riku came out to cheer Jimmy on!






Until next time...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

He looks soaked and like he had a LOT of fun!

8/17/2008 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home